My birthday is July 2nd. I will be turning a whopping 33 years old, and I am glad to say that I think I'm weird--but O.K.
There were a few years there during my teens and early 20's that seriously made me doubt if I was going to be O.K, and I have my days in adulthood when emotionally I don't know what's what, but as a human being I guess--what I mean to say is--I think I ended up alright. Could have been much worse.
Evidence to this fact is ya'll keep me around and send me things which is amazing and wonderful.
Early in June/end of May I started a Facebook Wish to raise $100 for the American Association of Diabetes. Thanks to Facebook Causes, the guess work as to where the money goes (as long as the charity is legit) is pretty much moot. There's no middle man, for instance, people didn't have to donate to someone's paypal and then hope they in turn, donated to the charity. The whole reason why I picked it.
I expected to bug a large amount of you with posting about it until my birthday, and plastered it across every major site I am a part of.
I didn't expect to have $125 raised by the first week. Seriously, I fucking love you--and that's pretty much what I wanted for my birthday this year.
That said, now that I made my goal I'm left wondering if I could convince people do do more if possible. And, hark! There's still a few things (being the greedy whore that I am) that I'd like to see happen by July 2nd, and if you can bear with me, I'll try and be brief:
- Force yourself to be happy for one day. It sounds odd as hell, but just do it for me as a birthday gift. All day smile. :D I don't even care if it looks creepy and people avoid you on the train/subway/hallways and give you those eyerolly-wtf-man looks when you do. Just smile and keep it there. All day if you pass a mirror, give it and yourself the ol' finger guns no matter how ridiculous it seems and tell yourself you are one hot motherfucker/bitch/princess/prince/dude/chick and god damn, you are looking fiiiiiiiiiine today. If you think anything negative about yourself that day, follow it up with something positive immediately. I don't care if it's, "I can write pretty e's," or "my brownies are orgasmic," just do it.
- If you go to Petsmart or Petco to get bird/dog/parrot/fish/cat food and/or supplies and during check out they ask you if you'd be willing to donate to helping homeless animals, please try and donate at least a dollar.
- If you're at Petsmart or Petco and they happen to have cats/kittens/dogs/puppies up for adoption, adopt one. If you a) can't, please consider donating a buck or two to help whichever shelter is there with the adoptions or b) find out what kind of litter they use/food they feed them and purchase some litter or food for them that day.
- If you live near a shelter and can't adopt but want to help: if you a) have old ratty towels that look bad but have been washed consider donating them, b) have blankets that have seen better days, consider donating them. c) Have a surplus of kitty or puppy toys, consider donating them. Have time to volunteer work, d) consider donating time.
- If you are a diabetic and have been letting things slide--and you know what I mean there Miss/Mr. cake slice, a coupla cookies, one frapp from Starbucks, Sweet tea with sugar in it--take care of yourself today. Eat right. Don't skip a meal.Get up in the morning and don't sleep in past your pills/injection times and EAT your breakfast even if you hate it with the white hot passion of one bajillion suns. Remember to check your blood sugars when you are supposed to during the day and go outside and do something. Walk to the end of your driveway. Walk down the road. Take a seat by your garden or visit a park. Just take care of you and be good to yourself today. And then consider doing that from now on.
- Hug/Kiss/Talk/Call/Visit a family member you haven't in ages. That family member that you keep meaning to call and wonder how they are and keep forgetting or putting it off. Not That family member that did something horrible and no one speaks to anymore--and not the one that you have very good reason not to want contact with anymore. But the other family member. Uncle Bob who you used to have wicked awesome picnics with who isn't doing too good with his health and you keep meaning to call to see how he is and get distracted: that one, yeah. Tell them one good memory of them, or just say hi.
- Last and very much least, if you still want to get me something for my birthday--and wow, you're crazy amazing--there are a million links to my Amazon Wish List as well as my Torrid clothing wish list for you to peruse and consider, in my Live Journal Profile. In the spirit of wish lists, there are cheap everyday things on it and strange you-really-don't-think-some-random-stranger-would-pay-that-much-to-give-you-a-gift-would-you? on there as well. Please don't think you NEED to buy me anything for my birthday and please do NOT think how much or how little you spend is some sort of means to show you care. I know you do, and I love you all. The gift of not telling me to go take a flying monkey flap when I am being unreasonable and silly, and still be friends with me here and in real life is good enough.
I love you guys <3 And thank you for reading and all that you do.